is a Spectrum emulator, written partly in C, partly in C++ and partly in Assembler.
It emulates more or less faithfully various Spectrum models, including some Russian clones.
Among other things, it emulates:
- Microprocessor: Zilog Z80A running at 3.5 Mhz. The emulation is written in C and Assembler.
Since I did the emulation myself instead of using any available one, it might have some bugs.
- Display: The ULA, a circuit that, among other things, is in charge of generating the picture.
The picture can be generated all at once (without scanlines) or "line by line" (with scanlines). Contended memory
(memory zones whose access is delayed by the ULA) isn't emulated yet.
- Sound: Both speaker and AY-8912 sound is emulated through any audio card or even the PC speaker (the AY sound
isn't emulated in this case, though, and it won't work under Windows NT/2000).
- Tapes: Loading from tape is emulated by means of TAP or TZX files, which are dumps from the original tapes (the latter
being a more faithfull format). Loading is accomplished simulating the Spectrum's EAR input. In the case of TAP files, loading
time is sped up by setting "traps" in the ROM.
- Unidades de Disco: The BetaDisk drive is currently emulated, using TRD files. The emulation
is still at an experimental stage, so you can't write back to the files, and has some reading bugs.
- Joystick: Three types of joysticks are emulated right now: Kempston, Fuller and Sinclair. Sinclair
joystick maps onto keys 6,7,8,9 and 0 (left, right, down, up and fire) just like the real thing. The other two
are emulated using the PC's keyboard cursors and CTRL key to fire.
- Keyboard: The keyboard is emulated using DirectInput. Spectrum's Symbol Shift key is mapped onto the PC's CTRL key
and CapsLock is mapped onto SHIFT key. Pressing PC's backspace simulates pressing CapsLock and 0 on the Spectrum. Remember
that not every key in the PC's keyboard will map onto a Spectrum one.
Emulates various Spectrum models (16K, 48K, 128K, +2, +2A, +3, Pentagon, Scorpion 256K, TK90 and TK95).
Loads Z80, SNA (48 and 128K), SP, SCR, TAP, BLK and TZX files.
Loads TRD disk image files.
Saves Z80, SNA and SP snapshots.
Supports ZIP compressed files.
Loads and saves poke files (.POK)
Spectrum 48K Issue 2 and Issue 3 emulation.
Needs Windows 9x/ME/XP/2000 and DirectX 5.0 or better. Donít know about NT4, though.